Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Manners Make a Difference

Asher, Sam and I were walking home from the gym today and we saw three airmen sweeping the sidewalk.  Sam asked me "Mom what are they doing?" he knew that they were sweeping, but he didn't understand WHY they were sweeping the sidewalk.  I explained to him that these airmen were working to make our base clean and they were getting all the dust and dirt off the sidewalk.  When we got close enough to them I said "Thank you for helping to make out base nice." We then continued on and I had a nice chat with Sam about appreciating the things others do for us.  Good lesson time.

Later that day my husband got home.  He asked about my day and I told him that I was tired because I biked 11.62 miles at the guy.  DH replied that "You must have been everywhere today because a bunch of guys I work with saw you."  Then he told me that his office group had guys out sweeping today.  "you know what honey, Airman _______ said that today majorly sucked, he came in red faced and upset about having to sweep then he said 'that the only good part was when you stopped and thanked him for cleaning up.'"

I didn't know the airman I talked to worked with DH, I don't know all the guys, but they all know me.  I was just trying to teach Sam to be thankful and express gratitude for all the services performed for us.  The curtsey we extend to others makes a bigger difference than we realize.  I am thankful for the opportunity to make someones day better.  I'm grateful the Lord put that opportunity in my life today.

2 comments:

  1. You are a great mother! Infact, you have won a major award!!!! The butterfly award to be exact. Check out my blog to see the link to yours, and instructions of how to play... if you like :)

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete