Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Korean Cooking Class

So this post is over a week old.  I'm trying to stay on top of my Blog, but somedays it's hard.  Last Tuesday I went to Korean cooking class.  Our teacher Jiyhun Songsimnim (Jiyhun is her name Songsimnim is Korean for teacher) told us about her mom, she died about a year ago and taught her the recipe for Spicey Cabbage.  Her mother never measured anything so, Jiyhun didn't either.  I cook like that so watching her pour in ingredients I translated for the other ladies, "she just pouring in 3/4 C of red peppers, that was about 2 TB of salt" etc.  I learned that the difference between spicy cabbage and kimchi is fermenting time.  Spicy cabbage is soaked in a salty solution for 2-5 hours and then prepared, kimchi is fermented for a month or longer.  We also made Bulgogi, which is Korean BBQ.  If you ever come to Korea and aren't sure about the food Bulgogi is going to be your safest bet.  We also made a soup, called janchi gooksoo, which translates into something like party of noodles.  It's a popular wedding dish, the noodles were served with broth and then it was topped with shredded carrots, zucchini, bean sprouts, egg, seaweed, and slivers of meat.  It's popular at weddings because you can top it with whatever you want.

Jiyhun wouldn't let us cook, but she talked to us the whole time about what she was doing.  She also talked about some Korea eating traditions, such as when someone comes to visit you should always offer food, and we shouldn't refuse an older Korean woman who tries to feed us.  It was a fun class

I was wrong, Jihyun let these 2 stir.


This is me pretending to cook


It tasted pretty good but not THAT good.
The next day on Wednesday I went to a Survival Korean course.  My brain still hurts from that class.  But I did learn how the Korean alphabet works, and some good phrases, like 'where's the bathroom' 'how much is it' 'will you lower the price'  It was a good class and the Korean language doesn't seem so scary anymore.  By no means am I anywhere close to speaking Korean, but I'm not as scared of it.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for learning it all!!! Keep all of your classes for us if we end up there, Mike will want to take them too!!!!! YOU LOOK GREAT! I showed your pics to a teacher I have that knows scott, and she said you're skinny now b/c you are eating kimchi!!! GO FIGURE!! LOL Good read, I needed it XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Armommy, I actually lost all the weight in KS and I've put some back on since moving out here...but not much, also there is a parent/child gym that I go to everyday that's helping me firm up. I hope you pass. Also the ARC offers Korean classes every month(no fee) and the community center offers classes (fee) anyway I really want you to come out here already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of funny to go to a cooking class and not be allowed to cook :) Looks like you're learning a lot about food and the language, and really getting adjusted to life out there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucie,
    I'm trying to get adjusted to life out here. I don't want to get myself stuck on base. I also figure if we are going to live abroad then we should really live abroad. :)
    How are things going?

    ReplyDelete